Topical agents are supposed to promote collagen synthesis when applied on the affected skin.
- Topical retinoid therapy (retin A treatment)
- Glycolic acid creams are used to remove the outer layers of the skin.
- Silicon dioxide is used with some benefits.
- Elastin cream can promote formation of elastin.
- Hydroxyproline containing creams are useful.
- Alpha hydroxyl acids (8 to 10%) are used with good results.
- Glycerol is used as a moisturizer.
- Topical vitamins (E, A & K).
- Vitamin E oil is commonly used.
- Creams containing marine tissue extract are useful externally.
- Antioxidants (they act as scavengers of free radicals).
- Vaseline is routinely applied on the skin.
- Biopeptide CL containing creams are useful.
- Topical sunless tanning products are also useful.
2. Masking methods: Here the stretch marks are not removed, but kept covered by appropriate dressing and other methods like tattoo or ornaments etc.
3. Dermabrasion: Here the superficial layer of the skin is removed by a procedure called micro dermabrasion, which will increase collagen production resulting in the formation of normal healthy skin. This method is recommended for those who do not prefer painful and expensive surgical techniques. This is the cheapest and harmless method among all types of skin resurfacing techniques. Here no chemicals or medicines are required. Micro dermabrasion involves the use of a pen like instrument that sandblasts the skin with tiny crystals to remove the cells in the superficial layer of the skin. On an average 10 to 12 sittings are needed for a better result.
4. Skin remodeling: Here needles or lasers are used. Needle pricks can induce collagen production in the affected area.
5. Chemical peeling: Here some chemicals in cream base are applied on the affected area. These creams can remove the epidermis of the skin. The dermis can produce more collagen and gradually normal skin is formed.
However this method is painful and may even cause skin injury due to some reactions.
Glycolic acid and Jessner's peels are commonly used. For medium depth peeling Trichloracetic acid is used. Here the skin becomes red & swollen for a few days and gradually becomes normal.
6. Laser treatment: This is the most commonly used method, which gives better result than any other method. Statistics show that about 70% of cases treated with a laser have given good results. However, laser cant give good results in all cases as it works on certain skin types.
Different types of lasers are used on the basis of the color of skin. Here a narrow beam of laser is transmitted through the affected skin that can stimulate the production of collagen. Laser can stimulate the division of fibroblasts of the skin, thereby promotes tissue repair. It is true that laser cant remove stretch marks, but improves their appearance. Dual laser treatment is effective after a few sittings. Pulse dye laser therapy is also used with sizeable results and is a better choice among different laser treatments. However laser therapy is expensive and also causes pain during the procedure. More over five to six sittings are needed to make some noticeable improvement. Laser therapy gives better results in red raised scars and pinkish stretch marks. However, modern laser therapy is very expensive.
7. Cosmetic Surgery: Here surgical methods like skin grafting, skin reduction, liposuction etc are done. In case of horrible abdominal stretch marks with folded skin due to fat deposition that does not respond to normal methods can be managed by abdominoplasty. However this method is very expensive and may cause scars on the operated site.
8. Endermologie: This mode of treatment was invented in France. Here, a special machine is used to massage the affected site with the help of rollers and a suctioning action of the machine. This method is supposed to improve the blood circulation and removal of toxic substances from the skin. It can also strengthen the connective tissues of the skin. Series of endermologie procedures have given marked improvement in the appearance of stretch marks.
10. Anti depressive medicines: Those who are over anxious about stretch marks need mild doses of antidepressants and psychotherapy.
Dr Olusola coker and Debola cole are experts in skin care. They both have treated and cured women with stretchmarks across the globe. visit their website for details http://www.fadeyourstretchmarks.com